This is a wonderful warming stew loaded with flavor. Just the thing for a cold day. It’s great over rice or as a side dish to an Indian meal.
· 2 Tbsp. olive oil (or ‘fry’ with a little water for a fat free option)
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
· 2 cups sliced carrots
· 2 cups purified water
· 1 medium cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
· 2 medium potatoes, diced
· 1 large red pepper, diced
· 2 small red, hot chilies, diced small (seeds in for extra heat)
· 1 small can diced tomatoes, with juice
· 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger, or chopped finely, or 1 tsp. dried
· 1 Tbs. garam masala
· 1 knuckle turmeric, diced small, or 1 tsp. dried
· 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
· ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil (or water) in a soup pot on 4.
2. Sauté onion, garlic, carrots for 10 minutes.
3. Add water, cauliflower, potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes, ginger, chilies, turmeric, and garam masala.
4. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add peas and cilantro.
6. Add salt and pepper (8 turns of pepper to compliment the turmeric for absorption)
7. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
8. Take the stew off the heat for 1 hour to let flavors develop and then reheat.
9. Serve over rice or other grains.
Go here to print this message: recipe_garam_masala_vegetable_stew.docx