This recipe is adapted from Staying Alive! Cookbook for Cancer Free Living. Serve this salad on a bed of spinach. This is a great recipe which provides complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats. It makes a perfect lunch or dinner as the weather is getting warmer. It serves 2.
· ½ cup brown long grain rice, rinsed
· 2 Tbs. wild rice, rinsed
· 1 ¼ cups of purified water
· 1 large or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
· ½ cucumber, chopped
· ½ cup parsley, chopped
· ½ can chick peas or 2/3 cup precooked, rinsed
· ¼ cup fresh herbs (basil, oregano, etc.)
· 1 clove garlic, chopped
· 2 Tbs. olive oil
· 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
· ½ tsp. sea salt
1. Rinse the rice and add to a pot. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes. Do not uncover or stir. After 45 minutes take the rice off the burner, fluff with a fork and let cool.
2. Add the chopped vegetables, herbs and chickpeas to the cooled rice. Stir gently to mix.
3. In a separate bowl or jar, mix the dressing ingredients well. Pour over the salad and stir through.
4. Serve on a bed of spinach and enjoy.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_mediterranean_wild_rice_salad_with_chickpeas.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.