You won’t miss meat with this hearty, flavorful vegan soup. Serve with fresh bread or light rye crackers and a salad.
· 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
· 2 medium onions, diced
· 2 large celery, diced
· 2 medium carrots, diced
· 2 medium potatoes, diced
· 1 large can diced tomatoes
· ¼ cup brown basmati rice, rinsed
· ¼ cup wild rice, rinsed
· ¼ cup quinoa, rinsed
· ¼ cup pot barley, rinsed
· 2 bay leaves
· 2 tsp. Mrs. Dash seasoning
· 8 cups purified water
· 2 heaping Tbs. organic vegetable bouillon or 2-3 cubes organic vegetable cubes
· ¼ cup fresh dill or 1 Tbs. dried dill
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, add oil and onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes on medium (5) until onions are translucent.
2. Add remaining ingredients, except for dill, salt and pepper, and simmer for one hour.
3. Add dill, sea salt and pepper and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
4. Serve immediately or cool and freeze in glass containers for quick lunches and suppers.
Here’s another great recipe from FMTV. It’s great if you are craving spaghetti but want a raw vegan option. I’ve tweaked it a little. This is a great salad for lunch or as a different kind of salad to take to a potluck.
· 2 zucchinis
· 1 large tomato
· 6 soaked, sun-dried tomatoes
· ¼ cup virgin olive oil
· 2 cloves garlic
· 1 tsp. raw honey
· 2 Tbs. fresh basil
· 1 tsp. sea salt
1. Spiralize the zucchini into noodles, or with a peeler into ribbons, and place in a large serving bowl. Tip: line the bowl with paper towel and let zucchini rest for 15 minutes to dispel excess water into the paper towel. Then discard paper towel.
2. For the sauce, place remaining ingredients in a food processor/blender until smooth.
3. To serve, place the zucchini noodles into bowls and pour the raw sauce over the top, just like you would for a bowl of pasta.
Tip: You can blanch the noodles in boiling water for two minutes so you can serve this dish hot in winter.
Zucchini provides you with lutein and zeaxanthin, two carotenoids that promote healthy eyesight. They’re also a source of magnesium, folate and fiber.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_zucchini_pomodoro.docx
Here's another vegan soup. I'm a fan of barley and you don't need meat to make a hardy flavorful soup with barley and kidney beans.
This hardy soup is vegan and gluten free! Great for cooler days for lunch or dinner.