This is a fat free recipe. You will be cooking in vegetable broth rather than oil. If you want to add a healthy fat after cooking, you can slice ½ an avocado on top.
· 1 large red onion, diced
· 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
· 1 jalapeno pepper, diced fine
· 1 small can chopped green chilies
· 1 cup vegetable broth
· 1 small can diced tomatoes
· 3 cans black bean, rinsed (or) 1 cup dried black beans soaked and boiled before hand
· 1 ¼ Tbs. cumin powder
· ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cover the bottom of a medium sized saucepan with vegetable broth. Add onions and cook on medium low (4) for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
2. Add garlic, jalapeno, chopped chilies and the remainder of the vegetable broth and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, beans and cumin and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add cilantro, salt and pepper and heat through. Serve over brown rice.
5. You can garnish with additional cilantro and avocado slices.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_spicy_black_bean_stew.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.