Here’s another Engine 2 recipe which makes a good lunch. The original recipe calls for whole wheat orzo but I couldn’t find it so any whole wheat or gluten free pasta will do.
Makes 1 medium serving
· ¼ cup + 1 Tbs. whole wheat pasta (orzo if possible) or brown rice pasta
· 1 cup baby kale, chopped fine
· 2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped fine
· ¼ red pepper, diced
· ¼ can no-salt canned black beans (or 1/3 cup precooked)
· 2 Tbs. walnuts, chopped
· 1 Tbs. water
· ½ tsp. mustard
· ½ tsp. paprika
· ¼ tsp. chili powder
· ¼ lime
Optional: Sea salt and pepper, hot sauce or cayenne pepper
1. Cook the whole wheat orzo according to the directions on the package. When ready, drain the water.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients: water, mustard, chili powder, and paprika.
3. Chop the baby kale and fresh parsley into tiny pieces. Dice the red pepper.
4. Drain and rinse the canned black beans.
5. In a larger bowl, mix together the vegetables, pasta, beans, and dressing. Squeeze a lime wedge over the dish, and add additional seasoning (salt and pepper) to taste. Add hot sauce or cayenne pepper for additional flavor.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_bean_and_pasta_salad.docx