· 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, preferably cold-pressed
· 1 large red onion, diced
· 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
· 1 jalapeno pepper, diced fine
· 1 small can chopped green chilies
· 4 cups vegetable broth (or) 4 cups of purified water and 2-3 organic vegetable cubes
or 1 heaping tablespoon of Better than Bouillon vegetable concentrate
· 3 cans black beans, rinsed (or) 1 cup dried black beans soaked and boiled before hand
· 1 ¼ Tbs. cumin powder
· ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Add olive oil to a large cooking pot.
2. Add onions and cook on medium low (4) for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic, jalapeno, chopped chilies and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable broth, beans and cumin and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add cilantro, salt and pepper and heat through.
6. Serve on its own or as a meal by adding ½ cup cooked rice to your bowl to make a filling yet light meal.
7. This soup freezes well so freeze in glass containers and enjoy at any time.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_black_bean_soup.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.