Here’s another recipe from Engine 2. This classic Indian dish is packed with nuanced flavors and plant protein. Tomatoes, onions and beans soak up all the spices and sit proudly on top of whole grain brown rice for a filling and nourishing supper. Makes 1 medium serving.
· ¼ onion, diced
· 1 clove garlic, diced finely
· A little purified water instead of oil for ‘frying’
· ½ can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
· ½ tomato, diced
· 1 tsp. lemon juice
· ½ tsp. fresh ginger, grated
· ½ tsp. garam masala
· 2 pinches turmeric
· 1 Tbs. water
· 1 Tbs. cilantro, chopped
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· ½ cup cooked brown rice (the rice is the bed for the dish)
1. In a wide skillet, add onions and water and cook on medium low (4) until the onions are translucent (approximately 8 minutes).
2. Add the garlic and heat for another minute or until fragrant.
3. Add the beans, tomato, lemon juice, fresh ginger, garam masala, turmeric, and water. Bring to a simmer, then cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over the brown rice.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_chana_masal.docx