Here’s another recipe from Engine 2. This meal is full of flavor and is fat free.
Makes 1 medium serving
· ½ cup cooked brown rice
· ¼ cup green lentils
· 2 cups collard greens (or kale), stems removed, deveined, cut diagonally
· ¼ tsp. fresh ginger, grated
· 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely (1 for lentil sauce, 1 for collard greens)
· ¼ jalapeno pepper, diced finely (retain seeds for more heat)
· 1 tomato, diced
· 4 Tbs. water
· ¼ tsp. chili pepper flakes
· ¼ tsp cumin
· 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
· 2 pinches ground cardamom
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the rice. I cook 1 cup of rice/2 cups water every Sunday for the week and store in the fridge and just steam what I am using during the week.
2. Bring lentils to a boil in a pot reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Use 2 cups of water and strain off extra water after cooking.
3. Prep the collard greens, ginger, garlic, jalapeno and tomato and keep them in separate bowls.
4. In a large pan, on low heat add 1 Tbs. water, cardamom, chili pepper flakes, cinnamon, cumin, fresh ginger and 1 clove garlic. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes. Add the tomato and heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Add lentils to the tomato mixture and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. In a second large pan on low-medium heat. Add 1 Tbs. water, jalapenos, 1 clove garlic, stirring constantly for a few minutes, making sure to prevent any browning of the garlic. Add the collard greens and 2 Tbs. water. Cover the pan and cook until the collard greens reach the desired level of tenderness about 5-10 minutes.
6. Top the brown rice with the green lentil mixture and collard greens, or serve plated side-by-side. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_ethiopian_lentils_and_collard_greens.docx