Here’s another recipe from Engine 2 which I have altered slightly. Iron and protein-rich beans combine with whole grain pre-cooked brown rice, peppers and fresh spinach for a healthy, veggie- and spice-packed meal. Makes one medium serving.
· 1 cup precooked brown rice
· ½ red, green or yellow pepper, diced
· 1 clove garlic, diced finely
· Water instead of oil for ‘frying’
· ¼ tsp. chili powder
· 1/8 tsp. cumin
· ¼ tsp. dried oregano
· 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
· ½ can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 Tbs. tomato paste
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
· ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
1. Steam to heat the pre-cooked brown rice.
2. Bring a pot with a lid up to medium heat with a touch of water. Add the peppers and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano and dried thyme and cook for one more minute.
3. Stir in kidney beans, tomato paste and a little more water (if needed).
4. Stir in the steamed rice, cover, and reduce the heat to minimum for about 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the pot contents to a serving plate, add salt and pepper and top with parsley and spinach and serve.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_fast_red_beans_and_rice.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.