Here’s another recipe from Engine 2. This dish brings home a taste of the harvest and the holidays, any time of year. The apple and dried cranberries tuck hints of tartness and sweetness into this savory dish. Garbanzo beans and a blend of new spices is a fun way to mix up your protein routine. The layers of flavor in this dish brings nuance to the typical quinoa bowl. Be warned: Your kitchen is going to smell amazing! Makes one medium serving.
· 1 cup cooked quinoa, steamed
· ½ can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or 2/3 cup precooked, rinsed
· ¼ tsp ginger
· ¼ tsp turmeric
· ½ tsp dried sage
· Black pepper
· ½ apple, diced
· ½ cup green beans, cut in half
· 1 Tbs. dried cranberries
· 2 Tbs. walnuts, chopped
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam the pre-cooked quinoa.
2. Mix the garbanzo beans with the ginger, turmeric, sage and pepper.
3. Add a little water and the garbanzo beans to a pot or wok and cover.
4. Heat for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Stir in the apples and green beans. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the green beans are just tender and bright green. Add more water as necessary.
6. Add the quinoa to the pot. Add salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to heat through for a few minutes.
7. Garnish with the dried cranberries and chopped walnuts, and enjoy!
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_festive_quinoa_bowl.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.