This is exactly how it sounds. Fresh and healthy, but with a fun mix of flavors and textures from the crispy veggies, rich avocado and lemony hummus. Half of the ingredients can be found at any farmer's market or backyard garden, making eating seasonally and locally simple and tasty. Makes 1 medium serving.
· 4 leaves collard greens, washed, stem trimmed
· ¼ cup hummus
· ¼ avocado, sliced lengthwise
· 1 tomato, diced
· ½ carrot, cut into matchsticks
· ½ red, green, or yellow pepper, cut into strips
· Juice of ¼ of a lemon
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse all the produce.
2. To create the wrap, chop the end of the stems off the base of the collard leaves. If you have a sharp knife, preferably a paring knife, slice the stem that runs up the center of the leaf horizontally, so the stem is as thin as the leaf. This will make rolling easier. Be extra careful that you don't create any holes in the leaves during this process. To make it even easier to roll, you can lightly steam the leaves until bright green and softened.
3. Cut the avocado into lengthwise strips.
4. Dice the tomato.
5. Cut the pepper into strips.
6. Cut the carrot into matchsticks.
7. Spread the hummus onto the four leaves.
8. Divide and add the avocado, tomato, carrots and pepper onto the middle of each collard leaf.
9. Squeeze lemon juice on top of each leaf and add salt and pepper.
10. Fold each side in, then roll up like a burrito and enjoy.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_garden_wrap.rtf
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.