Here’s another variation of an Engine 2 recipe. Garlic, green beans, and green lentils, oh my! This meal is jam-packed with vibrantly fresh parsley and green beans, and the garlic adds a tang to the tongue. Green lentils can make any pasta plate more nutritious by loading it with iron, fiber and protein. A complete (and completely satisfying) dish awaits! Makes 1 medium serving.
· ½ cup pasta, whole grain or gluten free
· ¼ cup green lentils, rinsed
· ¾ cup purified water
· 1 clove garlic, minced or diced finely
· ¾ cup green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
· ½ red pepper, diced
· ¾ cup fresh parsley
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring water and green lentils to a boil in a pot with a lid. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until water is absorbed and green lentils have softened. Add more water if needed.
2. Add the green beans and red pepper to the pot of green lentils 15 minutes into the cooking time. Cover the pot so they get lightly steamed.
3. Cook the whole grain pasta per directions on the box.
4. Add a little water to a small pot or pan and bring up to low heat. Add garlic and fresh parsley just to warm them (2-3 minutes). Do not allow the garlic to brown.
5. Drain the whole grain pasta; plate it and top with green lentils and veggies, and top with the fresh parsley mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_garlic_and_herbed_lentils_over_pasta.docx