Here’s another recipe from Engine 2. Sometimes you just need a veggie burger! This veggie burger is super simple, and packed with flavor and protein. Make a big batch now and save the leftovers in the freezer for a quick dinner or a lunch on-the-go later. Top it with your favorite veggies and condiments for the ultimate (healthy) indulgence! Makes one medium serving.
· ½ can kidney beans, rinsed and mashed or ½ cup pre-made beans
· 1 clove garlic
· ¼ cup rolled oats
· 1 ½ Tbs. tomato paste
· 2 tsps. mustard
· 1 tsp. chili powder
· 1 whole grain (or gluten-free) bun or serve open-faced with one slice of bread.
· 1 slice red onion
· ½ tomato, sliced
· ¼ avocado mashed or in slices
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· 2 cups spinach
· 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar (or) your favorite dressing
1. Drain and rinse canned kidney beans. In bowl, mash beans with fork.
2. In a bowl, mix the garlic, rolled oats, tomato paste, mustard, and chili powder with the beans.
3. Form 1-2 patties per person with your hands. Start by rolling it into a ball then squishing it down between two hands to make a round patty.
4. Heat a non-stick or cast-iron pan on medium heat. Cook the burgers until warm throughout and crispy on the outside.
5. Toast the bread, top with the burger and any other toppings that you like (like red onion, tomato, avocado, ketchup, mustard or pickles, to name a few!). Serve with a simple spinach salad. Drizzle the spinach with a touch of high-quality balsamic vinegar.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_kidney_bean_veggie_burger.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.