Here’s another Engine 2 recipe which I have slightly altered. Full of delicious melt-in-your mouth veggies and protein-packed green lentils, this savory caponata hits all the right notes. Sop up the deliciousness with a fluffy, whole-grain pita for maximum dramatic effect! Makes one medium serving.
· ½ can lentils, rinsed (or) 2/3 cup cooked lentils
· 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend
· 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
· 1 red pepper, diced
· 1 zucchini, diced
· 1 garlic clove, minced or diced
· 2 tsps. Balsamic vinegar
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· 1 whole wheat pita
1. In a medium pot, add lentils and Italian seasoning (with a Tbs. of water) heat until warm on medium low heat (4).
2. Add tomatoes, red pepper, zucchini and garlic to the pot and cover.
3. Cook for approximately 10 minutes until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
4. Remove from the heat, add the balsamic vinegar, and the sea salt and pepper (to taste).
5. Serve with a whole wheat pita.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_lentil_caponata.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.