This is a new take on an old classic. We've replaced beef with green lentils and added a shortcut by using pre-made marinara sauce. Green lentils are packed with iron, and the Vitamin C in the marinara helps enhance iron absorption. Bell peppers round out this dish and pack every inch of it with plant-based goodness. Makes 1 medium serving.
· ½ cup pasta whole-grain or gluten free
· a little purified water for ‘frying’
· 1 clove of garlic, minced or diced finely
· ½ cup bell peppers, diced
· 2/3 cup precooked green lentils
· 1 ½ tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning
· ¾ cup marinara sauce
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· Sprinkling nutritional yeast to taste
1. Add a little water to a small pot set stove temperature to medium and cook garlic for one minute.
2. Add the bell pepper, cooked lentils, oregano and marinara sauce.
3. Stir and heat for about 10 minutes.
4. Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
5. Pour the sauce over the pasta and season with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and serve.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_lentil_veggie_bolognese.rtf
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.