Here’s another altered dish from Engine 2. Green lentils, spinach and caramelized onions come together for a uniquely Spanish spread with a side of crisp whole wheat bread. Makes 1 medium serving.
· A little purified water for ‘frying’
· ¼ onion, sliced lengthwise in thin strips
· 1 portobello mushroom, cut into strips
· 1 clove garlic, minced or finely diced
· 2 cups spinach, chopped
· ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
· ½ cup cooked lentils
· ½ tsp ground anise
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· 2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
· 2 slices bread, whole grain or gluten free, toasted (or) 1 whole wheat pita bread
1. Use a nonstick pan or a cast iron pan. Heat to medium low and add a little water.
2. Add the onion strips. Stir frequently, cooking until the onions are golden brown.
3. Add the portobello mushroom strips and garlic and continue cooking until the portobello mushroom is also browned and soft. If things start sticking, add a tiny bit of water and stir, which should deglaze the pan.
4. When the portobello mushroom is soft and a golden brown, add the chopped spinach and apple cider vinegar. Stir and turn down the heat to the lowest setting.
5. Stir in the green lentils, salt, pepper and ground anise seed.
6. Turn the heat off and stir in the chopped parsley.
7. Toast the whole grain bread and serve on the side.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_lentils_and_portobello_with_carmelized_onions_and_anise.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.