Here’s another recipe from Engine 2 which I have changed somewhat. Consuming beans on a regular basis is associated with a lower risk for heart disease, cancer and type II diabetes. The acidic (and tasty) lime juice helps you absorb more iron from this meal, which is needed to move oxygen throughout the body. And cooking with pre-made rice is a great way to make the healthy, whole-grain option as quick and easy as possible! Makes 1 medium serving.
· 1 cup premade brown rice, steamed to heat
· A little purified water for ‘frying’
· 1 clove of garlic, minced of chopped finely
· ½ can pinto or black beans, rinsed or ½ cup pre-cooked beans
· ½ red pepper, diced
· ¼ tsp. chili powder
· ¼ tsp. cumin
· 2 cups Romaine lettuce, washed and chopped.
· Juice of ½ a lime
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam the pre-made brown rice.
2. Heat a little water in a pot over medium heat.
3. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
4. Add the beans, peppers, chili powder and cumin. Stir to combine and heat until warm.
5. Stir the steamed brown rice into the bean mixture. Add salt and pepper, and season to taste. Add extra spice to taste, including a dash of cayenne pepper, if you're up for it!
6. Serve over a bed of fresh romaine lettuce and top with lime juice.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_mexican_rice_bowl.rtf