Here’s another recipe from Engine 2. Canned cannellini beans are high in iron, a mineral that is important for transporting oxygen throughout the body. The acid in the marinara helps to increase iron absorption when paired together in a meal like this. Most importantly, the tastes pair perfectly on the palate. Makes 1 medium serving.
· ½ cup whole grain or gluten free pasta
· ¾ cup premade marinara sauce
· 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped finely
· 1 tsp dried oregano
· ½ can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed
· 1 ½ cups arugula
· 2 Tbs. sunflower seeds
· Sea salt and pepper
· 1 ½ tsp capers
· 2 pinches chili flakes
1. Cook the whole grain pasta according to the directions on the box.
2. In a pot with a lid, bring marinara, garlic and dried oregano up to low-medium heat. Cover the pan, so that the mixture doesn't dry out or burn.
3. Add the beans and arugula and heat until warm throughout.
4. Combine the whole grain pasta with the marinara and top it off with sunflower seeds, salt, and pepper, chili flakes and capers, when serving.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_pasta_puttanesca.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.