This recipe is from The Forks Over Knives Plan by Pulde and Lederman. I got this book after watching the documentary Forks Over Knives which discusses the merits of a plant-based lifestyle. I recommend the book and the documentary for anyone looking for information about a plant based lifestyle. This recipe makes about 11 cups and is a fat free recipe.
· 12 ounces (390 grams/6 cups) whole-grain penne pasta (or brown rice pasta)
· 1 medium yellow onion, diced
· 1-pound mushrooms (5 cups lightly packed), trimmed and sliced
· 4 cloves garlic, minced or diced finely
· 2 tsp. dried thyme
· 1 (28 oz./796 ml) can crushed tomatoes, drained
· 1 cup unsweetened unflavored plant milk
· 1 cup fresh chopped basil (or 2 Tbs. dried)
· Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the onion and mushrooms, stirring occasionally and adding water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time as needed to keep the vegetables from sticking, until the onion is translucent and beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and thyme, and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes with their juice and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the plant milk, the cooked pasta, the basil, and salt and pepper to taste and toss until well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve hot.
· Optional: This is a lot of pasta for two people. So what I do, is make the sauce and freeze it in small glass containers and make the pasta as needed (1-1/2 cups dry per serving).
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_penne_with_tomato-mushroom_cream_sauce.docx