Here’s another great recipe from Engine 2. With a generous helping of fresh arugula pesto, this meaty portobello mushroom burger is hearty and refreshing. Makes 1 medium serving.
Ingredients for Pesto:
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· ½ cup cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
· 1 cup arugula
· 2 Tbs. mixed nuts of your choice (I like walnuts or pine nuts for pesto.)
· 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
· 1 Tbs. water
· Sea salt and pepper, to taste
· 1 portobello mushroom, stem and gills removed
· ¼ tomato, thick slices
· ½ tsp dried basil
· 1 whole wheat burger bun
1. In a food processor or blender, mix up the pesto ingredients and set aside.
2. Add a little water to a non-stick pan and heat to medium. Add the portobello mushroom (stem side down) to the pan. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, then flip the portobello mushroom and add the tomato slices to the pan. Sprinkle with the dried basil, and cook uncovered for another 5-10 minutes, or until the portobello mushroom is tender and the tomato is browned.
3. Toast your burger bun, if desired. Spread one side of the bun with the arugula pesto, followed by the tomato slices. Place the portobello mushroom cap on the other side of the bun.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_portobello_mushroom_burger_with_arugula_pesto.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.