Here’s another adapted recipe from La Dolce Vegan! The combination of quinoa and beans makes a complete protein. If you have some premade quinoa, use ½ a cup to replace the uncooked quinoa and water.
· ¼ cup quinoa, washed and rinsed
· ½ cup filtered water
· 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 large tomato, diced (seeds removed)
· 1 large celery stalk, diced
· ½ bell pepper, diced
· 2 green onions, sliced
· 1 small avocado, diced in ½ inch pieces
· ¼ cup frozen corn, thawed
· ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
· 1 Tbs. olive oil
· 2 Tbs. flax oil
· 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
· ¼ tsp. chili powder
· ¼ tsp. sea salt
· ¼ tsp. pepper
1. Rinse the quinoa and put in a small pot. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low (2-3). Let cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, in a large bowl combine the beans, tomato, celery, bell pepper, green onions, avocado, corn and cilantro. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the olive oil, flax oil, balsamic vinegar, chili powder, sea salt and pepper.
4. Once the quinoa is cool, add it to the salad ingredients. Pour on the dressing and toss together well.
5. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to develop the flavours.
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.