Here’s another recipe from Engine 2. We love lentils first and foremost because they're delicious. And thankfully, they're also a good source of iron and plant protein! This simple pita - with flavorful lentils and fresh veggies in the mix - is a tasty and nourishing meal that's super simple to throw together. (Pro Tip: Keep some napkins handy while you munch on this lunch!) Makes 1 medium serving.
· a little purified water to prevent sticking
· ½ can lentils or 2/3 cup pre-cooked lentils
· 1 bell pepper, diced
· 1 tsp. chili seasoning mix
· 1 cup baby kale
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· 1 whole wheat pita
· Optional: ¼ avocado, cayenne pepper
· 1 apple (for dessert)
1. Add a little water to a small pot and heat on medium low.
2. Heat the lentils until warm.
3. Mix in the chili mix seasoning and baby kale to cook with the lentils. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the bell pepper to the lentils. When warm, scoop the lentil and veggie mixture into the pita pocket. Add optional ingredients if desired.
5. Enjoy with fresh fruit on the side.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_savory_lentil-veggie_pita_pocket.docx