Delicious and simple to throw together, this recipe will show you how easy it is for anyone to be an at-home master chef. Protein-filled beans, creamy avocado, and the spiciness of a jalapeno all wrapped up in a whole grain tortilla make for one feisty fajita! Makes 1 medium serving.
· A little purified water for ‘frying’
· ¼ onion, sliced lengthwise
· 1 garlic clove, minced or diced finely
· ½ can pinto or black beans, rinsed (or) 2/3 cup precooked
· ¼ tsp cumin
· ¼ tsp paprika
· ¼ tsp chili powder
· ½ tomato, diced
· ¼ avocado, sliced
· ½ jalapeno, diced finely – remove seeds for less heat
· ½ lime
· 2 regular-sized whole wheat or gluten free tortillas – or 1 large 10-inch
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Add a few tablespoons of water a pan and bring up to medium-low heat (4-5).
2. Add the onion and sweat for 5-10 minutes, or until they become slightly translucent.
3. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
4. In a separate saucepan, roughly mash the beans with a fork and heat over medium.
5. Stir in the spices with the beans until both of the ingredients are evenly mixed together and warm throughout. If needed, add a dash of water to prevent the beans from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6. Warm the tortillas on a cookie sheet in the oven (at lowest temperature 170F) for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Spread the bean mixture evenly on each tortilla and top with the onion/garlic mixture.
8. Garnish with diced jalapenos, tomato, avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper for some extra flavor.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_spicy_bean_fajitas_with_avocado.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.