Here’s another Engine 2 recipe. This hearty chili is packed with plant protein and fiber (thanks to the three different types of beans). All the nutritious ingredients get thrown into one pot for a quick, homemade, meal that will keep you fueled for the rest of the day. With whole-grain Wasa crackers for dipping or crumbling on top, you'll get a satisfying crunch with every bite. Makes 1 medium serving.
· a little purified water for ‘frying’
· ¼ onion, diced
· 1 bell pepper, diced
· 1 tsp. chili powder
· ½ tsp. cumin
· ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
· ½ cup kidney beans, rinsed
· ¼ cup black beans, rinsed
· ¼ cup pinto beans, rinsed
· ½ can diced tomatoes
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
· Serve with: 2 Wasa whole-grain crackers
1. Heat a pot with a little water over medium-low heat.
2. Sweat the onion until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
3. Add bell peppers, chili powder, and cumin. Stir and cook for another minute.
4. Add all the beans, canned diced tomatoes and vegetable stock/broth to onion mixture and adjust seasonings to taste.
5. Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until some of the liquid has evaporated and chili thickens. Serve with Wasa crackers.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_three_bean_vegetable_chili.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.