Here’s another recipe from Engine 2. Take a trip to Tuscany - in no time at all! This throw-it-together dinner is a great go-to meal for those nights when you want something comforting, nourishing and quick. Protein-rich white beans, whole-grain pasta and superfood kale make up the tasty basics here. With garlic and a dash of salt and pepper, the simple flavors of this dish can really shine! Makes 1 medium serving.
· 1 cup whole wheat or gluten free pasta
· A little purified water for ‘frying’
· 1/8 onion, chopped
· 1 garlic clove, minced or finely chopped
· ½ can cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
· 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend
· 1 tomato, diced
· 2 cups kale, chopped
· Optional: olive oil to taste (Don’t cook with it just add a tsp. for flavour at the end.)
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
2. In a medium pot, add water and heat to medium low.
3. Add onions and cook for 8 minutes until translucent.
4. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
5. Add beans, Italian seasoning, tomato and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add kale and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Plate the pasta and top with the bean mixture.
8. Add sea salt, pepper and a dash of tasty olive oil as desired.
Note: heating oils and exposing them to air and sunlight changes the molecular structure which can turn a healthy oil into an unhealthy oil. So, if you are going to use oils, store in dark glass bottles and add after cooking for flavour.
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_tuscan_white_beans_and_kale.docx
I am a registered holistic nutritionist, open-minded vegan and cooking enthusiast.