Here’s another Engine 2 recipe. This take on the New Orleans classic is loaded with flavor. Makes 1 medium serving.
· ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
· ½ cup brown rice, rinsed
· 1 ½ Tbs. tomato paste
· ½ green or red pepper, diced
· 1 clove garlic, finely diced or minced
· ½ tsp. chili powder
· ½ tsp. cumin
· ½ tsp. dried oregano
· ¼ tsp. dried thyme
· ½ can no-salt kidney beans (or 1 cup cooked), rinsed
· 1 cup spinach, chopped
· ½ cup cilantro, chopped
· Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine vegetable stock/broth, tomato paste, and brown rice in a pot with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer. Set a timer for 40 minutes.
3. When 20 minutes remains in the cooking time, stir in the green peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano and dried thyme in. Cover again.
4. Rinse and drain the canned kidney beans and add them to the pot with five minutes remaining in the cooking time. Add a bit more water, if needed.
5. When the timer goes off, season the brown rice with salt and pepper to taste. Top with spinach and cilantro, and enjoy!
Go here to print this recipe: recipe_red_beans_and_rice.docx